Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Vicky's Rainbow

Two Sunday's ago I met a woman at our church named Jo Ann. As does so often happen, she immediately asked me about my name and I told her the Cliff's Notes version: a beam of light, reflecting off of glass, caused a rainbow to appear on my mom's stomach and God spoke to my parents regarding His promise of children for them. I am the first born and my name, Keshet, means rainbow in Hebrew.

She reacted as pretty much everyone does, with comments of "Oh wow! That is so neat!" or "How beautiful!" But then she went into her own story....

Jo Ann and her sister became believers in their late teens. They had a cousin, Vicky, who was right between the two of them in age and she thought their "religion" was crazy. However, as they got older, they invited Vicky to a Christian women's retreat held on a beautiful bay. The weekend offered different classes or sessions and Jo Ann and her sister, both having kids, were going to be attending one on parenting. Vicky, not so interested in that particular class, needed something to do while her cousins were occupied. So Jo Ann and her sister gave her a Bible and told her to go find a place and just read it.

Like with any book, Vicky started at the beginning, in Genesis. Later that day, a storm came off the ocean out of nowhere and as quickly as it arrived, it moved out. But as it cleared, a rainbow appeared over the bay. Vicky said to her cousins, "That's my rainbow." They asked her how that was so and she replied, "Today I read about Noah and how God gave him a rainbow as a promise. I asked God if He was real, why couldn't he give me my own rainbow too."

Three weeks later, Vicky was killed in a car accident.

Tears are streaming down Jo Ann's face (and mine) as she says to me, "I believe God is a relentless pursuer of our souls right up until the very end. He knew Vicky's time was almost up and he gave her just what she needed to believe in Him." She then pauses and says, "You know, I had forgotten all about that story until you told me about your name."

For over a week now, I haven't been able to get Vicky's testimony out of my head. It is one of the most beautiful stories I've ever heard of God romancing someone into His arms. Since Vicky isn't around to tell it, I felt that I needed to share it. I was so encouraged by its reminder that God does pursue us, no matter where we are. He is the one waiting at the end of your rainbow. He is the one who made it for you.

5 comments:

The Wards said...

What a beautiful testimony, I am so glad you shared it!

The Life of Susan said...

absolutely beautiful kesh. i love how God works. thanks for reminding us!

a blog full of weldons. said...

wow, i just got chills reading that! what an amazing story...more than a story, a true testiment to God's love for us. thanks so much for sharing her story!

Grammy Jean said...

Sitting here with tears in my eyes, thanks for sharing such a precious story on Vicky's behalf. I am sure if she could she would be shouting it to the world!

Cindy said...

What a beautiful story!!! Course, I already knew some of your story, but what a testimony also with Vicki's story. It reminds us so much of how God can work through special moments.