Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My poor forsaken blog

I never had a chance to finish blogging about my trip to Tulsa back in early June. As soon as I returned to PA, I immediately had to get myself, and my house, in gear for our vacation to the OBX. Not to mention that Jim was on a business trip to Boston the week before we left, so I was in "single parent" mode too.

On Father's Day we drove down to Nags Head where we stayed for a week, sharing a house with some of our dearest friends in the world. I had packed my computer with the lofty hopes of blogging whilst catching some rays by the pool. However, the wireless internet at the rental house didn't work, so..... I was forced to go an entire week without any connection to the grand ol' www.

Returning home after a glorious and exhausting week at the beach, I came down with the post-vacation blues. It took every bit of energy I had just to catch up on laundry, go to the grocery store, play with the girls, and fix a few meals. I missed my friends and my friends' kids and I sort of basked in my discontent with no longer being at the beach.

This week I finally began forcing myself to get over it and rejoin day to day life as it is. And I realized getting reacquainted with my blog is part of that. Then I got overwhelmed with all the things I could and should post about.... Tulsa, Vacation, etc. so I decided to give myself a break and just write random thoughts about my day today as I make my way back into my blogging world.


I realize that on days that I get out of bed and actually get dressed, as opposed to throwing on whatever I find just so I can get the girls up, my days get off to a better start.

That better start this morning motivated me to make my Aunt Kay's recipe for banana bread with chocolate chips and walnuts.

Making the banana bread motivated me to cook the 10 lb pork shoulder I bought on a whim this week after watching Food Network last weekend.

Trying and failing to shove the 10lb pork shoulder in my tiny slow cooker made me realize, I need a bigger Crock Pot.

Thank God for Mother-in-laws with bigger Crock Pots and for Sister-in-laws willing to deliver them.

I can now say I have successfully slow cooked my own pork shoulder. Tonight we feasted on pulled pork tacos and later this week I'll make bbq pulled pork sandwiches out of the leftovers. Divine.

I love lunches out with my sisters-in-law. I am growing less and less fond of lunches out with 2 1/2 year old Kyra.

I actually told Kyra the pizza place we went to for lunch didn't have pizza so she would eat chicken tenders instead.

I wish I had more time to read books. I am very proud of myself for the little bit of time I have found to allow myself to read lately.

Slumdog Millionaire was, in my opinion, a good movie, but watching it made me sick to my stomach and overwhelmed me with sadness. I wish I hadn't watched it by myself.

I love So You Think You Can Dance. I get so happy watching it that I sometimes laugh out loud.


And on that note, I'm going to wrap this blog up so I can give the show my undivided attention and fully revel in the happiness.

3 comments:

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

first---

i am really sad to say that i am the reason you lied to poor kyra about the pizza (explained on my blog)....

second---

i have a bigger crockpot too if you need one....

third---

i didn't realize you would watch slumdog by yourself!! i'm so sorry...! i loved the movie, and it is better the 2nd time. But, it is sad.

and...love lunches with you ladies too!!

Lyryn said...

I felt the same way about slum dog… but I was watching it with Jess. The movie didn’t set well with me. Though it’s a wonderfully made movie… it’s a hard one to watch. Welcome back from your blogging hiatus!

a blog full of weldons. said...

welcome back to the blogger zone. i've missed you! i love your random thoughts (which, by the way, were brilliantly played out in your oh-so-whitty way so as not to be so random, but a part of a story that was wonderfully crafted in it's own randomness. love it. sorry, this shouldn't be in parentheses, but i can't help it.) :)