Thursday, March 18, 2010

Thursday Thoughts

Two weeks ago Jim started classes with the Elijah House School for Prayer Ministry. This means that every Thursday night for the next 12 weeks I will be home alone with my girls. At first, this was a little overwhelming to take in. That's 14 total nights (or two full weeks) of feeding the girls dinner, bathing them, and putting them to bed all by myself. And it may not sound like much, but after I've been with them by myself ALL DAY LONG, trying to keep up with their average pace of 6900 miles per minute, I can just barely muster up the energy to go the extra 2ish hours alone.

However, I've discovered over the last two weeks that once the girls are in bed, I have this rare opportunity for something called "me time". I have vague memories of a past life where this concept existed, but recently Thursday nights seem to be getting us reacquainted.

I've been able to actually reply to emails that have spent days sitting in my inbox, run a couple of miles, play online games, read magazines (thanks Susan for my subscription to Real Simple!!!), and well, blog.

All week long there have been little things here and there that have made me smile or brought me to the verge of insanity, so tonight, I thought I'd sit down and put some of these random things on paper, er, the internet.

Here goes....
My baby brother, Ethan, left on the 14th for a couple of months in the Dominican Republic/Haiti. We've lived in different states for 7 years now and I've missed a good part of his life, but for some reason just knowing he isn't in the US of A makes me miss him. It also makes me realize that even though I haven't been there for it, he grew up and God is shaping him into a man after His own heart.

Let me just tell you how proud I am of my "home-improvement challenged" husband for taking apart, cleaning, and putting back together our mold ridden shower in the master bath (including caulking the entire thing). I know this was a big project for him and I was impressed that he was even willing to take it on. AND he did a GREAT job. No mold, no leaks = success!

Kyra has been playing dress up a LOT lately. And I love it. I just can't get over how cute she is in the skirts and gloves and heels and tiaras. Today she even asked me to paint her fingernails and toenails. Let me just say I think she's awesome.
Hello SPRING! I have been ecstatic over the sunshine and warmer weather we've been getting this week. We've gone to the park twice, taken several walks around the block, done chalk drawings on the driveway, blown hundreds of bubbles, and played with a water table Kylie got for Christmas (yay for finally being able to use it!!).
Kylie learned how to blow bubbles (like the kind with the wand you dip in the soap). I couldn't believe it and it's just so gosh darn cute.

With the warmer weather/opportunities to play outside we have also expanded the number of ways we can injure ourselves. This week alone Kylie has busted her lip open twice, Kyra scrapped up her hand, and the girls legs are multiplying with bruises as if they were somehow contagious.

I've discovered Kylie prefers to go down a slide by any means other than the way it is intended: on her back, head first, and our recent favorite, just plain walking down them, which leads to tumbling head over heels down them, which leads to busted lips.
Yesterday we made popsicles. The EXACT SAME KIND my mom used to make when I was little. They're made with Minute Maid Berry Punch with strawberries and blueberries in them. The only difference is my mom used to make them in Dixie cups with wooden popsicle sticks and I've gone the more "green" route and am using plastic molds. They still taste the same to me though and I'm so happy I remembered that part of my childhood.

On Saturday I had the opportunity to go SHOPPING by MYSELF. I was able to browse every rack in every store, try on as many clothes as I felt like, and remind myself that I actually really enjoy shopping.

On my shopping trip I bought a dress and hat for the Little Light House garden party. I am SOOOOOOOOO excited to be going to it this year!!! I get sad every year I see the picture of my mom and sisters, knowing that I'm missing out. Not this year though!!


There are many more random thoughts from the week floating around in my brain right now, but lots of them are about some of the less interesting or more disgusting moments, so I think I'll just end it here.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Grammy Jean said...

I am catching up on emails and remember you posted a new blog. I love being a part of your life through your writings. This was a great post, thanks for keeping me up on what you are doing with your girls. And the pictures are such a bonus. Looking forward to that Garden Party next month and so glad you are able to be here with us this year!